Countryside at Cwmcarvan, pictured from the top of the church tower
Cwmcarvan shown within Monmouthshire
OS grid reference
List of places
MonmouthshireCoordinates: 51°45′49″N 2°45′33″W / 51.76373°N 2.75923°W / 51.76373; -2.75923
Cwmcarvan (Welsh: Cwmcarfan) is a small rural village in Monmouthshire, south east Wales. It is located 4 miles south west of Monmouth and about 4 miles east of Raglan, off the old A40 road not far from Trellech.
1 History and amenities
1.1 Church of St. Catwg
1.3 High Glanau
3 External links
History and amenities
The church of St. Catwg
Church of St. Catwg
The church dates from the 13th or 14th century, in the Early English and Perpendicular styles, with some 16th-century features. It was heavily restored in the 1870s. The dedication is to St. Catwg or Cadoc, a Welsh saint of the 6th century. There are porches on both the south and north sides, supposedly so that the squires of Cwmbychan and Trevildu within the parish did not have to enter through the same door as each other.
The hill of Craig-y-Dorth, 1 mile north east of the church, was the site of a battle in 1404 between Owain Glyndŵr’s rebels and English forces. According to the Annals of Owain Glyn Dwr, “Here the more part of the English were slain and they were chased up to the town gate [of Monmouth]”.
The house at High Glanau was built in 1923 for the writer and garden designer Henry Avray Tipping.
^ a b John Newman, The Buildings of Wales: Gwent/Monmouthshire, 2000, ISBN 0-14-071053-1
^ Sir Joseph Bradney, A History of Monmouthshire, vol.2 part 2, 1913
^ Annals of Owain Glyn Dwr
Genuki basic info on the village
Kelly’s Directory 1901
Geograph photos of Cwmcarvan
This article relating to a location in Monmouthshire is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.